Website Avalon Housing
At Avalon, housing is a basic human right. We envision a community in which all of our neighbors have a home and an opportunity to thrive. We build supportive housing communities as a long-term solution to homelessness.
Avalon Housing is a non-profit supportive housing provider. Supportive housing is a combination of affordable housing (that we build) paired with services, like case management. We don’t just help people find housing. Our property managers and support coordinators help people stay in their homes. This is not easy work, but as one of our tenants says: “Avalon will get in the trenches with you.”
We’re looking for people who want to join our cause and help eradicate homelessness in our community. Are you interested?
If you are passionate about creating more diverse, inclusive, and equitable communities where all people are welcome, Avalon may be a good fit for you.
The Real Estate Project Manager reports to the Director of Real Estate Development and will have project management responsibility for identified real estate projects. The ideal candidate should be extremely comfortable with project management, financial analysis, and legal and real estate documents. They should have an inquisitive mind with a desire for learning, and a passion for innovative problem solving.
Real Estate Development
- For specific projects manage all aspects of real estate development, including:
- Taking the lead in tracking and satisfying project-related critical path benchmarks, such as purchase agreements, entitlements, third party reports, design documents and construction approvals.
- Creation and analysis of operating and development proformas for prospective projects
- Preparation of various funding applications, including grant and Low Income Housing Tax Credit applications, including technical and financial information. Obtaining and organizing all necessary documentation, including preparing checklists and timelines, and completing funder-provided checklists
- Provide on-going coordination and project direction across the development team, including architects, general contractors, funders, government officials, attorneys and others regarding ongoing and prospective projects
- Taking projects through from inception to closing
- Preparing development and construction draws while coordinating our finance team.
- Completing on-going reporting and close-out activities and reports to funders and partner agencies
- Completing pre-acquisition due diligence activities.
- Assist in preparing Development Manual covering project work from project identification through project close-out.
- Obtain input from other Avalon departments throughout the development process-including project concept development, financing structure, implementation and post-project hand-off to operations.
- Participating in strategic planning efforts with the Real Estate Development Strategy (REDS) Committee and Real Estate Development team.
- Preparing agendas and notes for Project Team Meetings, as needed.
- Understanding the needs of the Clients we serve and commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion work.
Desired Qualifications & Experience:
- Minimum BA/BS (or equivalent), preference for finance, real estate, urban planning, or related field.
- Preference for at least 3 years of experience working in a project management capacity related to real estate development.
- Strong preference for experience preparing and submitting LIHTC, HOME and/or FHLB applications.
- Ability to read and understand complex formula-based electronic documents, such as development and operating proformas.
- Ability to develop and monitor multiple development schedules, tasks and budgets.
- Strong working knowledge of Excel and Word.
The successful candidate will have the following traits and abilities:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Understanding the full cycle of real estate development, including closing process, etc.
- The ability to effectively give and receive feedback
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Excellent attention to detail, including both work with numbers and with legal or regulatory text
- Creativity and flexibility
- The ability to thrive in a varied and multi-tasking environment
- Proven ability to develop and maintain cooperative relationships with individuals from diverse backgrounds, including public sector staff members and officials, representatives from other nonprofits organizations, vendors, and our tenants.
- A high level of comfort with financial analysis
- Highly analytical mind and a commitment to continuous improvement
Avalon Housing is dedicated to being an anti-racist organization. Successful candidates will demonstrate their commitment and ability to work with a wide range of populations A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation is required.
Job Title: Real Estate Project Manager
Reports to: Director of Real Estate Development
Location: This position and office is based in Ann Arbor, MI. Hybrid work schedule is possible, with at least 2 days per week in the office anticipated.
Status: Full-time position, $64,000 salary
Benefits: Benefits include excellent health insurance options, dental & vision, 403(b), generous vacation and monthly additional holidays, Life / AD&D / Short and Long-term Disability plans, optional additional Life / Critical Illness Accident coverage, Employee Assistance & Wellness programs, and Affinity Groups.
Avalon Housing is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks applicants from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds, as well as historically marginalized groups. This includes but is not limited to underrepresented gender identities, sexual/romantic orientations and/or relationship structures, people living with disabilities or mental health conditions, and with lived experience with homelessness or recovery from a substance use disorder, and people with underrepresented religious and/or socio-economic backgrounds. Avalon also encourages those with criminal histories to apply. Avalon doesn’t request information about criminal histories until an offer of employment is extended. Avalon will not exclude someone based on criminal history unless it is determined the criminal history is related to or directly conflicts with the position’s responsibilities. We are committed to transparency about our decision-making process and will seek to clarify information from an applicant to help us make a determination in this regard
To apply for this job please visit avalonhousing.applicantpro.com.