People for Palmer Park
Position: Board Executive Assistant
Reports to: Board President
Location: 910 Merrill Plaisance, Detroit, MI 48203
People for Palmer Park (PFPP) is a non-profit, community-based organization committed to the
preservation and revitalization of Palmer Park, a 296-acre public park located in Detroit. Our
mission is to further the preservation, revitalization, and viability of Palmer Park—a Detroit park
for the good of all.
As the official Palmer Park “Adopt-a-Park” partner with the City of Detroit, PFPP works together
with the city on park maintenance and improvements. PFPP also presents recreational
activities, cultural festivals and community events, and other programming in the park, reaching
an audience of over 10,000 each year.
PFPP is an all-volunteer organization, governed by a member-elected board of directors that
represent the surrounding communities and various professions. The Board is composed of
seven committees: arts & culture, events, finance, log cabin, marketing, preservation, and
Scope of Work
The Board Assistant will serve as an executive assistant to the Board’s leadership, ensuring that
the Board operates smoothly and effectively and ultimately increasing the capacity of each of
the committees. The Board Assistant will report to the President of the PFPP Board and meet
regularly with committee co-chairs. The Assistant will also be responsible for ad-hoc
administrative projects as timing and workflow permit. Specific responsibilities include:
- Working with PFPP leadership (executive board and committee chairs) to convene and
schedule meetings and prepare and distribute agendas.
- Attending all committee minutes to keep minutes and follow up on action items as
- Maintaining a calendar of PFPP events, including committee meetings and deadlines
- Regularly reviewing the PFPP email account and forwarding requests to the appropriate
- Supporting events in day-of coordination capacity, as well as through organizing
- Provide supervision of interns or fellows as needed
- Maintaining PFPP Dropbox to ensure organization and shared communication.
- Maintaining PFPP’s membership database and running monthly reports in partnership
with the membership committee.
- Other ad-hoc administrative projects, as timing and workflow allows
- High School Diploma
- Over 2 years experience in nonprofit board development or management
- Ability to work independently with no supervision, make decisions in accordance with
organization policies, and work effectively with the Board of Directors, committees,
volunteers, vendors, and the public.
- Ability to prioritize work assignments and organize workflow to meet deadlines.
- Proven experience driving complex projects while successfully executing and implementing
strategic plans and initiatives.
- Ability to represent the company at meetings and functions.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to quickly learn new software applications effectively and efficiently.
- Proficiency in use of Microsoft Office applications required.
- Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Strong financial acumen with a preference for prior budget or P&L ownership
- Project and/or program management experience preferred.
- Proficiency in a donor management software system
- Experience monitoring and managing vendors
Hours & Pay
This position is a part-time, contract position requiring an average commitment of 40-50 hours
per month. Position is likely to require evening meetings, and some weekend activity, so
flexibility is essential. Contractor will be expected to work from home, or be on site at Palmer
Park, as there is not a functioning office space. Pay is commensurate with experience, from
$30-35/hr. This position may grow and evolve with the organization’s needs.
Applicants with a disability who may need accommodation to participate in the interview process
should make such an accommodation request at the time they are contacted to schedule an
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.