CEDAM’s AmeriCorps applications are now open! This year, we’re looking for 25 AmeriCorps members to serve at nonprofit organizations statewide. For those interested in nonprofits and community development, this is an invaluable opportunity to gain hands-on experience, make a difference, and serve. Here are some of the top things to know about the program:
- You’ll be making a direct impact in Michigan communities.
At CEDAM’s, our AmeriCorps members directly impact communities across Michigan to build capacity for nonprofit organizations and, more importantly, help alleviate poverty and promote financial stability in their region. Depending on their location, members take on a variety of tasks. To name a few, this could include things like:
- Supporting local food access programming
- Launching new anti-poverty programs
- Working one-on-one with clients to connect them to resources like the eviction diversion program, energy assistance programs, or MI Bridges
- Strengthening economic inclusion programs like Show Me the Money Day or VITA free income tax assistance
- There are numerous opportunities in locations across the state, both urban and rural.
This year’s CEDAM’s AmeriCorps host site organizations are located throughout the state, from West Michigan to Mid-Michigan to Detroit. Because members often work directly with community partners and members, they become integral, well-connected members of their communities.
- Positions are compensated and offer benefits.
Compensation and benefits for CEDAM’s AmeriCorps members include a $20,000 living allowance; a $6,495 education award; health benefits; child care benefits, if eligible; and a flexible schedule.
- Members’ length of service can range from one to four years.
At a minimum, CEDAM’s AmeriCorps members must commit to serving their full term, from Sept. 11, 2022, to Aug. 25, 2023. If they’d like to continue their service, members can choose to extend their service for a second, third, or fourth term, up to four years.
- CEDAM’s AmeriCorps is for all experience levels.
CEDAM’s AmeriCorps isn’t for one, single “type” of person –– our members represent a variety of backgrounds, ages, and experience levels. There is no upper age limit to serve, and anyone between 18 years of age and older is encouraged to apply. Our members often bring a wide range of past professional experiences and aspirations, from recent graduates to those wishing to transition their career into the nonprofit sector, to those looking for a rewarding experience after a lifetime career in a completely different field.
- It’s an ideal professional development opportunity.
For those looking to build connections in the nonprofit field, it doesn’t get much better than CEDAM’s AmeriCorps. On top of working alongside a team at host site organizations, CEDAM’s AmeriCorps members receive professional development training and have opportunities to network across the community development sector.
- Many former CEDAM’s AmeriCorps members have gone on to succeed in a variety of career paths.
Across the state and across the country, former members are using their CEDAM’s AmeriCorps experiences to guide their professional accomplishments. Past members have gone on to work in community resource development, housing access, and even filmmaking, to name just a few.
- You’ll be part of a historic national movement.
A national organization, AmeriCorps is a voluntary civil society program supported by the federal government and other organizations that engage adults in public service work to help others meet critical needs, at both state and national levels. It is the only federal agency for community service and volunteerism.
- It’s more than just a job.
You’ve likely heard it before, but it bears repeating: AmeriCorps isn’t just a job, it’s service. CEDAM’s AmeriCorps members and host sites see their service as an opportunity to fulfill a responsibility, working every day to improve our communities and provide the tools, resources, and support to empower our neighbors.
- Member applications are open now!
CEDAM’s AmeriCorps applications are open May 16 – June 27, 2022. Get started by submitting your application today!