This summer, CEDAM members and other housing and community development practitioners around Michigan will have that opportunity! Legislators Building Communities (LBC) is a new initiative to educate our legislators about housing and community development activities in their districts through hands-on volunteer opportunities. It is led by the Living in Michigan coalition, a network of statewide and regional housing & community development advocates that is co-chaired by CEDAM and Habitat for Humanity of Michigan.
Here’s how it works for CEDAM members:
- You submit an online interest form, letting us know your project idea (see rules and ideas here).
- If your project is selected, we will put you in contact with a staff person in your legislator’s office so you can set a date and discuss details.
- You plan and publicize your event (we can help).
- You host your event. Show off your work, involve the community, and take pictures!
- You share your story with CEDAM, your contacts, your local media, and anyone else you can think of.
The call for projects is now open, and we hope to collect at least one project idea in each district by the end of February.
Please visit the LBC website and submit your interest form (via the Hosts tab) ASAP. If you have any questions about LBC, give Katie a call: 517.485.3588.
We’re looking forward to working with you on this exciting new initiative.