On Tuesday, November 10, 2009, CEDAM held its second Capital Day in partnership with the Asset Building Policy Project and the Michigan Foreclosure Task Force. The event was a great success, with 57 individuals from 38 organizations converging in Lansing to meet with 30 representatives and 21 senators.
Tiffany Lemieux-McKissic, CEDAM’s Manager of Membership and Communications, has created a fantastic 4-minute video with footage and information from Capital Day. If you attended, this is a great way to remember the event and tell others about it. If you missed out this time, you can see what the event was like. We encourage you to join us in 2010!
In addition to Tiffany, for her great work on the video, we would like to thank the following individuals and organizations:
- Our generous sponsors: United Way for Southeastern Michigan and PHI
- Jean Doss of J. Doss Consulting for her hilarious and effective lobby training
- CEDAM staff for their hard work
- Our Michigan legislators and their staff, with special thanks to Rep. Rebekah Warren, Rep. John Proos, Rep. Dan Scripps, Rep. Rashida Tlaib, Sen. Mark Jansen, and Sen. Hansen Clarke.
- And of course, all 57 of you who attended.
If you attended and have not yet filled out an evaluation, please do so here to help us improve future events. To see policy materials from Capital Day, visit our Advocacy Resources page.
Last but not least, here are a few of the comments we’ve received from people who attended.
- “Great job on the event – all of your work made it so much easier to meet and establish relationships with our legislators!”
- “Both my contacts did what I asked and it also followed to a TV show with [my representative] to talk about foreclosure scams. Good for the public, for [my rep] and for [my organization].”
- “Capital Day was a great event. It is good to be aware of specific bills that are in the legislature and of those which we can have an opportunity to lobby on. I also enjoyed networking with other agencies from around Michigan who are involved in similar work. Overall, the event was well organized, informative, and a great opportunity to be a part of a democracy. “
- “This was a positive experience for me…. I will follow the issues much more closely as a result of my experience.”
- “I would be very comfortable participating in the future.”
- “I am very happy to have signed up and come to Capital Day.”