Attend An Event
Show Me the Money Day
Host Site Applications for Show Me the Money Day 2021
- SMTMD 2021 Host Site Applications
- Applications are now closed! Applicants will receive a notification of our decision via email on Friday, September 11.
Returning Host Sites*
- 3 Year Automatic Application Renewal
- Organizations with previous experience as SMTMD host sites and participated in the 2020 SMTMD season may qualify for an automatic application renewal for 2021 SMTMD season.
- Once approved, organizations need only reapply every 3 years. Automatic renewal will be contingent on adherence to the CEDAM participation guidelines and yearly SMTMD event success.
- Organizations with previous experience will be notified by CEDAM of their renewal before training registration opens.
*Some restrictions apply
Applicants must be a 501(c)3 to apply.
New Event Formats For 2021
In response to the Covid-19 pandemic, CEDAM would like to introduce a new set of event guidelines to help you plan your 2021 Show Me the Money Day event.
Prior to March 2020, all Show Me the Money Events were required to be hosted in-person; moving forward host sites may offer the following four event formats:
- In-person: Considered our traditional event format, an in-person event is a one day event lasting between 4-8 hours, typically hosted at a community center or public building, with workshops, vendor resource tables, food, fun and prizes.
- Virtual: Hosted online, a virtual event may consist of a single day event or broken into small sessions across several days. Much like in-person events, attendees can participate in workshops, giveaways, and chat with vendors.
- Hybrid: Combination in-person and virtual event, allowing individuals to attend in-person or online. Hybrid events will stream workshops online as well as provide additional opportunities for folks to participate from home.
- Informational Campaign: In communities where in-person or virtual events are not possible, host sites can offer an extended outreach and informational campaign. Host sites should conduct a range of outreach activities, including, but not limited to email, phone, mail, and door-to-door information drops. They can also consider pairing with food distributions and other services to distribute information packets.
Please reference the 2021 SMTMD Event Guideline Supplemental for more information. Event guidelines are designed to be flexible and allow host sites to better respond to community conditions and adhere to all local, state, and federal guidelines related to COVID-19. Host sites will now need to provide an event plan outline as well as an event contingency plan outline as part of their application or renewal package.
Show Me The Money Day 2021 Timeline
As a statewide event comprised of several organizations, it is important for host sites to participate in CEDAM’s prescribed timeline in order to ensure a successful SMTMD event. The SMTMD 2021 timeline serves as a reminder for tasks, goals, and other event planning details including:
- September 4 – SMTMD host site application closes
- September 11 – Selected host sites are notified, and training registration opens
- September 22 – Training registration closes
- September 25 – Virtual Training Day
- October 2 – Launch Basecamp
- October through March – Monthly TA calls with host sites
- November 13 – Submit Location Information
- Ongoing (Within 2 weeks of your event date) – Submit participant survey
- April 30 – End of season call to host sites
- May 21 – 2020 SMTMD impact graphic
*If prior commitments make it impossible for your organization to send a representative to the planning meeting, please contact Brian Rakovitis before submitting this application to make arrangements to fulfill this requirement at another date. Brian can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or 517.485.3588
Host Site Training
- Host Site Training
- Host Sites will be selected prior to the Host Site Training registration in mid-September.
- Host Site Training is mandatory for all host sites (at least one person from your organization must attend)
- This training is free and will include best practices, breakout groups, basecamp training, marketing, event planning and fundraising information.
- Training will be hosted virtually
Hosting a Show Me the Money Day Event in Your Community: What You Need To Know
Show Me the Money Day is a series of free, public financial resource fairs throughout Michigan. These annual events take place in January and April in order to kick off tax time and promote savings. They feature free and low-cost financial products, workshops, games, prizes, food and fun.
The events are planned and executed by CEDAM member organizations. Host Site organizations tailor events to fit their communities’ needs.
CEDAM’s role is to provide technical assistance and support surrounding the events. For 2021 events, CEDAM provides the following:
- Free Host Site Training in Lansing
- Mini-grants of up to $500 per event*
- Physical posters and postcards with logos and event information*
- Graphic design services
- One-on-one technical assistance
- Monthly technical assistance calls
- Data collection and reporting support
- Marketing, fundraising and planning guides
*Mini-grant funding, physical posters and postcards are not guaranteed and contingent on funding.
If you would like to get involved, become a sponsor, or learn more about an event in your area, please contact Brian Rakovitis.