Michigan College Access Network
About the Michigan College Access Network:
Established in 2010, the Michigan College Access Network (MCAN) is a statewide nonprofit intermediary organization that mobilizes state and local leaders to increase college readiness, enrollment, and completion rates. Our efforts are oriented toward achieving the ambitious goal of increasing Michigan’s postsecondary educational attainment rate to 60% by 2030. MCAN’s mission is to increase Michigan’s college readiness, enrollment, and completion rates, particularly among low-income students, first generation college-going students, and students of color. MCAN aims to fulfill its mission through advocacy, capacity building, convening, dissemination of research and data, development of partnerships, and investment.
As per our strategic plan, MCAN will focus its work on the following priorities:
- Foster a college-going culture
- Identify multiple postsecondary education pathways and facilitate smooth transitions
- Improve college affordability
- Support credential completion
Vision and Values
College is postsecondary education
We use the term college to refer to attainment of education beyond high school, including postsecondary certificates and academic degrees.
College is a necessity
Postsecondary attainment dramatically increases an individual’s economic independence in a knowledge-based economy.
College is for everyone
We work toward changing the systems that perpetuate inequities in postsecondary attainment.
College is a public good
Postsecondary attainment is critical to a just and equitable society, strong economy, thriving democracy, and healthy communities.
For more information, visit www.micollegeaccess.org.
Position Description Summary
Under the supervision of the Deputy Director who also serves as the director of the High School Innovation Department, the Strategy Assistant will assist in strengthening school systems and college access practitioners through professional development, research, data, innovation, investment and technical assistance. The ideal candidate is self-motivated, technically-capable, detail-oriented, and has the ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced, innovative environment.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The Strategy Assistant performs a wide range of duties including but not limited to the following:
- Assist in the implementation of MCAN-provided professional development training programs to college access practitioners including but not limited to school counselors, K12 staff, and nonprofit professionals.
- Lead the recruitment, coordination, communication, and expansion of the College Bound Michigan school-based campaign designed to help schools support students through the college- going process.
- Manage the College Bound Michigan Resource site designed to support host sites’ work with College Bound Michigan and to provide college-access content for students, counselors, administrators and other college access professionals.
- Provide leadership and management of a professional development webinar series on topics relevant for college access practitioners.
- Provide support to the Career and College Champion Professional Learning Community in partnership with the High School Innovation Strategy Manager.
- Provide administrative support to the High School Innovation strategy in processing counselor professional development hours, high school grantmaking, and the MCAN conference.
- Support the organization in reaching its equity and inclusion goals. Assist in the audit of existing programs and design of new programs to ensure they are designed to close gaps, specifically among low-income students, first-generation college- going students, and students of color.
- Serve on MCAN’s grant review team. Independently read and score various grant applications and participate in team meetings to review and determine the status of grant proposals.
- Provide staff support in planning and hosting meetings, convenings, trainings, and other special events.
- Professionally and accurately communicate with critical MCAN constituents such as K12 professionals, higher education staff, LCAN coordinators, partner organizations, and state agencies.
- Compile and analyze data to improve effectiveness of MCAN’s strategies.
- Utilize technology to drive efficiency of MCAN’s strategies.
- Attend meetings and events on behalf of MCAN as requested.
- Perform other duties as needed to advance the mission of the Michigan College Access Network.
Education, Job Knowledge and Experience Requirements
The ideal candidate should:
- Have experience considering the impacts of college access and success on multiple communities, including communities of color and those with low socioeconomic status.
- Have experience incorporating the perspectives of multiple communities, including communities of color, in the consideration of impacts and outcomes of a decision-making process.
- Prioritize work, multi-task, work independently with minimal supervision, and accurately perform duties in a fast-paced environment.
- Have ability to solve problems, pay attention to detail, and follow through on tasks assigned through completion.
- Work efficiently and adhere to established deadlines.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Have a passion for working in the nonprofit and education sector – especially for postsecondary attainment.
- Have strong written communication skills that demonstrate professional composition, proper grammar, clarity, and reflect the tone of the Michigan College Access Network.
- Show professionalism in all they do through confidence, competence and communication.
- Have extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office Products and Gmail as well as knowledge of basic office and communication equipment and software.
The ideal candidate must:
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- Have a strong and demonstrated commitment to equity.
- Have familiarity and comfort with technology, specifically Microsoft Excel
- Have a valid in-state driver license for local travel.
Priority will be given to candidates with:
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field.
- Experience working in a school or closely with schools/school districts.
This position is full-time and is eligible for MCAN’s full benefits package including generous health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance, retirement benefits, significant paid time off, paid holidays, and a fun work environment.
MCAN believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. MCAN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages people from all backgrounds to apply. MCAN is also an Employer of National Service.
Please upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of 3 professional references.
For questions related to this position, please email Vicky Wright, Director of Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job please visit mcan.smapply.org.