Community Development Advocates of Detroit (CDAD) is a non-profit, membership association for Detroit’s community development (CDOs) and neighborhood improvement (NIOs) organizations. The Public Policy Director leads CDAD’s policy efforts, with support from the Executive Director and Policy Committee, to advance a focused policy and advocacy agenda that supports community development activities and advances equitable development, with a focus on healthy neighborhoods for all Detroiters.
- Develop and implement public policy agenda and strategies to advance community development issues in Detroit and promote equitable development through a process with input from CDAD members and partner organizations
- Expand and coordinate the involvement of CDAD members in our advocacy efforts, including staffing and management of the Policy Committee, Affordable Housing Work Group, Community Benefits coalition, and Community Reinvestment Coalition
- Develop effective relationships with public officials and other advocacy organizations to support CDAD policy activities
- Monitor, analyze and report on local, state and federal policies and legislation that impact the community development sector
- Conduct research, write reports and other education materials to support CDAD’s policy efforts
- Work with CDAD Communications Associate to develop a messaging strategy supporting policy issues and advance advocacy activities.
- Develop and maintain policy content for CDAD social media
- Represent CDAD at events, community meetings and other activities as necessary
- Manage policy interns as necessary
- Participate in other organizational activities and programming as appropriate and necessary to support CDAD’s mission
Skills and Knowledge Requirements
- Experience working with non-profit organizations, coalitions and membership group
- Demonstrated commitment to community development in Detroit preferred
- 3 to 5 years’ experience working in public policy advocacy
- Superb organizational, leadership, communication and management skills
- Excellent judgment in developing and implementing priorities
- Outstanding research, writing and analysis skills
- Demonstrated ability to apply legislative and public policy analysis
- Excellent working knowledge of social media tools and system
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Outlook programs
- Positive and professional attitude
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in small nonprofit environment
- Experience or familiarity with community organizing and building public support for policy positions
- Bilingual skills beneficial
- Knowledge of Detroit local government and processes preferred
Salary starting at $50,000; benefits package includes medical, dental and vision; generous vacation time, flexible and collaborative work environment with a supportive team and snacks.
Please submit your cover letter and résumé using the subject line CDAD Public Policy Director by email only to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 12th , 2018.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest in applying for the position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.